Monday, October 4, 2010

Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles



5/5 stars. If I could give it more stars, I would.

Ages 15 and up.





At Fairfield High School, on the outskirts of Chicago, everyone knows that south siders and north siders aren't exactly compatible elements. So when head cheerleader Brittany Ellis and gang member Alex Fuentes are forced to be lab partners in chemistry class, the results are bound to be explosive. But neither teen is prepared for the most surprising chemical reaction of all- love. Can they break through the stereotypes and misconceptions that threaten to keep them apart?

Wow. This book was really really good. Intensely good. When I finished it, I wished it wasn't over yet, and wanted to re-read it right away. If you like romance, you will like this book. There were so many reasons why this book falls into the category of  one of the best romances I've ever read. My absolute favorite kind of romance story is when hate turns to love, and all the verbal sparring and denial of feelings that go along with it. It makes it so fun to read! This book had all that, and was also well-written with multi-dimensional characters.
I really enjoyed the 2 character viewpoint in this book. Every other chapter was from Brittany, then Alex's perspective. I now officially have a huge crush on Alex Fuentes. I want to ride on his motorcycle with him, and see him at Enrique's Auto Body, working on cars, and "looking more masculine than any guy I've ever seen", as Brittany says. Yep, Alex is a stone cold fox.
I liked the fact that Brittany cared so much about her special needs sister that she was willing to go wherever her sister was, and be there for her. I think the book sends a really good message to teens about love for family and sacrifice. Alex is also in a similar situation with his family, but in his case he will do anything to protect them from the violence and gangs in his neighborhood.
Overall, just read this book! I can't wait to read the next book in the trilogy, Rules of Attraction.

A big thank you to Sandy for letting me borrow this book! Now I need to buy my own copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment