Friday, October 1, 2010

Lament by Maggie Stiefvater


Don't you know what happens to cloverhands who cannot control the fey?

Sixteen-year-old Deirdre Monaghan is a prodigiously gifted musician. She's about to find out she's also a cloverhand-one who can see fairies.
Unexpectedly, Deirdre finds herself infatuated with a mysterious boy named Luke who enters her ordinary life, seemingly out of thin air. But his interest in her might be something darker than summer romance. When a sinsister faerie named Aodhan shows up with deadly orders from the Faerie Queen, it forces Dee right into the midst of Faerie. Caught in the crossfire with Deirdre is James, her wisecracking but loyal best friend.
Deirdre had been wishing her summer weren't so dull, but taking on a centuries-old Faerie Queen isn't exactly what she had in mind.

I wish I could say that this was a great book that was totally worth my time reading, but unfortunately, it wasn't. I think some people would read it and really enjoy it, but for me it wasn't anything original or special. The author has a good writing style, but it took me a month to finish the book because I kept reading other things instead. There was nothing about this book that made me want to know how it was going to end. I normally love books about Faerie (I love the magical world occurring side by side with our world), but this one just didn't do it for me.
The main character was ok. She wasn't too annoying or anything, but I had trouble understanding why she hated her mother so much. There was really no resolution to the mother-daughter relationship, although there is a sequel to this book, so maybe it is resolved there. I won't be reading the sequel, so I'll just be in the dark on that one.
The romance was lukewarm, in my opinion. (Ha ha, that was a bad pun because her love interest's name is Luke!) I wish there had been more background information on Luke. I was a lot more interested in how he became enslaved to the Faerie Queen, and what period of history he was from, than in what was going on in the present day of the book.
Overall summary- skip this one. If you want a good faerie book, read Tithe or Valiant by Holly Black.

by Rose

2/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment